Accounting blogs enable finance professionals — such as bookkeepers and accountants — to stay up-to-date with the latest developments and use these trends to enhance their practice. Accounting blogs come in three different shapes: public, private, and influencer.
Public blogs are usually run by agencies and organizations and contain regulatory updates — with little or no promotional content. Private blogs are run by small- and medium-sized firms and offer in-depth content while marketing their services. Influencer blogs promote products more subtly, highlighting how particular apps or software made their lives better.
With so many options to pick from, choice paralysis kicks in. Your time and mental resources are limited, so which blogs should you go for? To spare you the effort, we’ve handpicked blogs we like best and highlighted their main themes and notable posts. We’ve kept our descriptions short and sweet.
Top 12 Accounting Blogs to Check out
- Journal of Accountancy
- Accounting Today
- Future Firm
- CPA Practice Advisor
- Insightful Accountant
- Blake Oliver
- Jetpack Workflow
- Firm of the Future (Intuit)
We’ll start with our own blog, which focuses on several themes:
- latest accounting technologies
- innovations in accounting processes
- hilarious accounting posts, such as memes and jokes
- educational content that helps implement our platform into your practice
We’ll elaborate on the last point a bit. Our cloud-based software helps firms automate tasks to increase billable hours, streamline internal processes via a Kanban view and time-tracking, and substitute a paper approach with an electronic one. This means all documents can be shared and signed online, and all communication takes place on the web as well. It helps firms attract new clients and keep current ones without opening offices in new locations.
You can also find top accounting podcasts on our blog — in case you don’t have a lot of time to read fully-fledged articles. Best for: tax firm owners using TaxDome to create an online workspace and automate internal and external workflow. Works well for general industry news and light-hearted content
- How to Get Bookkeeping Clients: 15 Quick Tips to Grow Your Practice Online
- Accounting practice management software: the best 8 picks in 2023
- Top 20 US Accounting Conferences You Won’t Want to Miss in 2023
- 8 Best CRMs for Accountants, Bookkeepers and Tax Professionals
- 20 of the Funniest Accounting Memes to Bring Some Humor to Your Balance Sheet
2. Journal of Accountancy
The Journal of Accountancy is run by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). The journal’s main focus is the public accounting sphere. It comprises technology news, practice management, tax, auditing, financial reporting, and management accounting.
The journal is available in both print and digital — AICPA also launched its own podcast recently, which is worth keeping an eye on. The blog shines at providing timely and accurate updates and changes to the IRS, AICPA, and SBA guidelines — which makes it an authority source.
The downside of this being an official voice of the AICPA is weak website design. It conveys the wrong impression the blog is not updated — or is downright boring. Regular posts on hot issues — including the boom in AI — suggest otherwise.
Best for: staying on top of crucial changes to legislation, as well as exploring the latest industry tech trends — and tips for better practice management
- AICPA Council supports development of national pipeline strategy
- Why private companies need a plan for ESG reporting, assurance
- Black CPAs: IRS must end higher audit rates for Black taxpayers
- Supreme Court upholds exception to notice requirement for third-party summonses
On top of being an accounting blog, AccountingWEB offers an online community for professionals such as bookkeepers and CPAs. AccountingWeb centers on the latest accounting news, emerging technology, and taxation. The platform also offers practical advice to businesses of all sizes, including accounting firms.
The blog also offers the writers’ views on recent developments that come via solid opinion pieces. Last but not least, AccountingWeb is a good place to keep up to speed with news and trends in the field — as well as notable upcoming events, such as webinars and award ceremonies.
Best for: tracking the latest news regarding taxation, business, and tech — and getting them in the form of well-argued opinion articles
- Delivering an R&D tax service that clients can depend on
- Why firms shouldn’t shy away from transfer pricing
- How Much Does AP Automation Really Cost?
- If your profit is not up 10%, then why not?
4. Accounting Today
Accounting Today has a massive online presence as it caters to over 325,000 professional public accountants, including bookkeepers, auditors, financial planners, consultants, and tax managers.
Accounting Today explores themes like audit and assurance, tax laws, wealth management, new technologies, and accounting standards. Much like on Accounting Web, you can also read up on upcoming events in the field.
What makes it different from other blogs on the list is a paywall — some articles are for premium subscribers only. While such a development is somewhat eyebrow-raising, the sheer amount of high-quality content is worth $4 a week. Plus you can curate your own feed as a member.
Best for: tax professionals looking for an all-around view of the industry. You might even be better off by getting an account for all your team members — it’ll allow you to save massively per capita.
- 5 myths about Marijuana and the accounting industry
- Lawmakers introduce bill to Expand Affordable Housing Tax Credit
- IIA proposes legislation for auditing crypto exchanges
- Webinar: Leveraging Technology for advisory services
5. Future Firm
Future Firm offers online coaching to entrepreneurs, owners of businesses, and marketing-centric firms. Their blog covers accounting technology and practice management, the central focus being on resources firms need to scale.
Interestingly enough, the long(ish) articles are not the main ingredient of the blog — rather, podcasts are. The owner records one weekly and has been doing so for 2 years. There’s also a weekly newsletter that includes 5 top tips on how to scale your firm.
Best for: owners looking to scale their practice — and love listening to practical advice on it more than reading
- Accountant Networking: The Best Places + 9 Tips
- Guide to Pricing Accounting Services (Fixed & Value Pricing)
- Podcast: The Top 9 Ways to Use ChatGPT in Your Firm
- Podcast: A Simple Way to Differentiate Your Firm
- Karbon Practice Management Software: In-Depth Review
- The Power of a CPA Coach: A Guide for Accounting Firms
6. CPA Practice Advisor
CPA Practice Advisor is a great source for getting accounting news. It covers all the latest legal happenings and offers lighter content alongside, to aid finance professionals.
The blog examines emerging technologies in the accounting space — and how these can improve service delivery to clients. There’s also a convenient sidebar column to track upcoming events and webinars and news — in case you don’t want to scroll the main feed in search for those.
Best for: getting the latest legal news, tracking upcoming accounting events and webinars — and having an occasional laugh
- Florida Adds New Sales Tax Holidays, But with a Bug
- Accountants Shy Away From Talking to Their Bosses About Mental Health
- Online Labor Demand Increased in April
- How to Avoid Mutual Fund Tax Traps
7. Insightful Accountant
Insightful Accountant has your back for news and industry updates — but they offer a nice twist too: the blog features specific advice for accountants with different expertise, such as construction, non-profit, and restaurant.
They also offer exceptional value for accountants when it comes to helpful software. The blog offers a myriad of reviews and comparisons for accounting programs, including all the usual suspects: Intuit, Sage, and Xero. The platform is more educational and less promotional: so you can find value in most posts they publish.
Best for: accountants working in niche industries (such as construction and non-profit) — or aiming to branch out in a particular direction. Also great for finding out about how the latest tech developments can help your practice run smoother.
- Why Automation is Key to Transforming Your Accounting Practices
- Intuit Awards Three Small Businesses $20,000 Each for ‘Small Business Hero Day’
- AICPA, CIMA Unveil New Learning Tools
- Future Forward 2023: An Intro: Integrating Your Software & Applications
8. Blake Oliver
Blake Oliver’s blog produces a mix of accounting news, in-depth pieces on the industry, and various strategies aimed at growing your practice. These include leadership, marketing, and productivity tips, with whole sections dedicated to each.
The founder and owner, a CPA boasting by the name — you guessed it —Blake Oliver even runs his own newsletter and podcast. He is well into expert territory, with multiple awards to his name. He was named on Accounting Today’s list of “Top 100 Most Influential People” and CPA Practical Advisors’ “40 Under 40” list.
Best for: tax firm owners who are looking to grow their practice in several directions: not just the client base, but also in marketing and management areas.
- Sharing the Wealth: Is Asking Partners to Increase Salaries the Answer to the Accounting Talent Shortage?
- Distorted Images: How Accounting Rules Allow Banks to Hide the True State of Their Finances
- A CPA’s Perspective on the SVB Collapse: Rethinking Financial Protection and Reporting for Investors
- Top Marketing Strategies That Actually Work For Accounting Firms
Xero Blog is owned by Xero — a cloud-based accounting software company — and is centered around accounting software. While the blog mostly keeps you in the loop about the company’s software updates, it also supplies educational and informational content for accountants and small tax firm owners, such as why time off work can benefit their practice.
Best for: Xero users who are also looking for tips on maintaining a healthy work-life balance. An unexpected, but welcome, twist.
- How apps can make it simple to take climate action in your business
- Six practice apps to make FY24 your best yet
- Why resting and recharging is important for small business owners
- Generative AI: considerations for small businesses
10. Jetpack Workflow
Jetpack Workflow emphasizes helping professionals like bookkeepers and accountants — as well as entrepreneurs and business — owners to automate menial activities, freeing up time for more important things.
The blog covers several key themes, such as project management, team dynamics, and streamlining operations. Time and employee management, as well as software integrations, are sub-themes within those.
Best for: platform aficionados who want to learn more about — and possibly integrate — strategies on effective team and processes management
- The 10 Best Tools Every CPA Should Know About
- SEO for Accountants: 10 Essential Strategies You Need to Use
- 5 Key Tips to Better Manage Your Accounting Team’s Workload
- Free Excel Bookkeeping Templates to Keep Your Books in Order
11. Firm of the Future (Intuit)
Firm of the Future is operated and owned by Intuit, a company that created QuickBooks. So it comes as no surprise that a large section of the blog is dedicated to QuickBooks integration into your practice.
However, we’d be doing the blog a huge disservice if we called QuickBooks’ promotion its only goal. They cover — in detail — general taxes (changes, news, etc.), offer tips to improve firms’ internal workflow, and give advice on growing your business.
Firm of the Future also has a newsletter, to deliver all the important stuff straight to your inbox, in case there’s not enough time for you to regularly check the website.
Best for: advanced QuickBooks users, who want to get the platform’s and industry’s updates from one source
- Professional or casual gambler? How to help your clients play their cards right
- Top 10 differences between IFRS and GAAP accounting
- Effective and efficient client onboarding
- Fueling small business and mid-market growth: Mission and strategy
Last but not least on the rundown is Ignition. The blog primarily covers content regarding new accounting software and enhancing client relationships. Unsurprisingly, Ignition’s own platform is at its center.
The blog’s main areas of focus are proposal optimization, client management, tax filing, accounting practices, billing, and workflows. Ignition can deliver updates in these straight to your inbox — they have a monthly newsletter for that.
Best for: tax professionals who use Ignition’s platform and want to explore the benefits it offers in-depth
- Late payments and over-servicing clients: How to avoid this agency trap
- The ultimate guide to writing the best business proposal 2023
- Tips for developing a technology change management process for your accounting firm
- 8 Ways to support your clients during uncertain times
Accounting blogs can cover any need of yours — regardless of what that might be. There are blogs focused on keeping you up-to-date with recent changes to taxation (e.g. Journal of Accountancy), podcast-centered sites for professionals who don’t have much time (e.g. Future Firm), and tech companies whose products improve and scale your practice (e.g. TaxDome).
You can pick one, several, or all of the above to form your accounting diet. All of them offer quality content, with different slants. Or simply bookmark this article and come back to it when you have the time to ponder your selection.
Subscribe to our news!
We will send you the best of our blog just once a month. We promise.